dimanche 2 mars 2008

I am my own Urban Dictionary

I'm coining a new word: poredom. Pronounced like "boredom," but of course with a "p," poredom is a noun. It is the state of being so poor one cannot afford to do anything, resulting in a state of slough-like boredom and, at times, abject misery.

Example of usage:
1. I'm suffering from poredom.
2. Sorry I can't make it out tonight; I'm heavy in poredom right now.
3. Dang, I just coughed up 195 bucks to settle an overdue parking ticket...looks like I'll be living in poredom 'til next paycheck.

Note 1: Though poredom is a state of being, one cannot "be" poredom (as one might "be" bored). Because then they'd just "be" poor. And though related, that's not the same thing.

Note 2: The writer of this blog is in poredom. What a great time to stay in and watch some movies (i.e., avoid driving and hence avoid paying upwards of $3.50 per gallon to fuel the auto).

The night before I realised I was in poredom (for sometimes, alas, it can sneak up on you), I trekked to SuperMall to see my "he's a cute kid" pick of the year, Anton Yelchin, in the Robert Downey Jr costarrer, CHARLIE BARTLETT. You may remember wee Anton as the unfortunate victim in the stellar sleeper ALPHA DOG, out last year. You won't really remember him from CHARLIE BARTLETT.
plot: Wannabe psychiatrist kid tells jokes.
thought: RD Jr. plays an alocholic!
in five: 2/5

Today, heavy in the throes of my current poredom, I double-featured an oldie and a not-that-new-but-never-seen-by-me movie. The first film was NETWORK, starring the rather thin husband-theif Faye Dunaway across from Robert Duvall. My, is he a charmer. And by "charmer," I mean "scorpion."
plot: Trash on TV; America goes crazy.
thought: This movie's writers were psychic!
in five: 4/5

Then I settled into a cute French film starring Charlotte Gainsbourg opposite her real-life husband Yvan Attal. The film, MA FEMME EST UNE ACTRICE (My Wife is an Actrice) is mostly funny because in real life, they're both actors! And successful ones at that. But as they say, reality doesn't always make good cinema; hence the Notting Hill-ish turn for the husband as a nobody dating The Somebody.
plot: Uh...oui...ma femme est une actrice.
thought: She's also cute as pie!
in five: 4/5

With that, excuse me while I return to my poredom.

THE FILMS
Charlie Bartlett - http://charliebartlett-themovie.com/
Network - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/
Ma Femme est une actrice - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269499/

Aucun commentaire: