mercredi 11 mars 2009

Blockbuster Stimulus Package

What a sad/annoying thing it is to try and find a Blockbuster during a recession. They're dropping like flies! I didn't notice it at first, but on my latest look around the street corner, I saw nothing but empty windows. And a sign. "This location has closed."

In an attempt to raise the revenue of the Blockbuster further down the street, I launched into rental mode again. First up was the film noir that informed the OG I wrote about last week, BRICK. I was a mite bit embarrassed that I had alluded to CHINATOWN in my writing but actually had never seen it, so it was time, for Blockbuster's sake and for mine, to remedy that.

CHINATOWN
plot: Water and murder under the bridge.
thought: Is Chinatown really that shady?
in five: 4/5
whose your daughter?: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071315/

I watched CHINATOWN with my friend Tivo, who suggested following it up with the mid-nineties, we-heard-it-was-a-classic BOONDOCK SAINTS. I love-love-love RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION, both of which were referenced on the back of BOONDOCK's dvd case, so I had high hopes. And since I was in an underbelly-of-the-city kind of place, I knew I was in the right mindset. But BOONDOCK....It was weird. It felt like it was trying to be pulpy but was missing the mark. I know that it came out before QT sprayed bullets from the reservoir, so that means it wasn't trying to imitate these works, even though they seemed to beg comparison. So what was the excuse for the kitsch? I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be grindhouse, like bad for the sake of its genre...or if it was just bad.

BOONDOCK SAINTS
plot: Bible-bashers on a killing spree.
thought: Is this a B-movie...or a bad movie?
in five: 2.5/5
pray or be prey: http://www.boondocksaints.com/

We watched MEMENTO next, and it was good as always. But then the darkness was done; I wasn't looking to wallow in crapulance for the whole weekend. For a little bit of light, I went for the film that fell second to ONCE two years ago--because apparently, you only can have one indie movie starring the musically talented per Awards Season.

AUGUST RUSH
plot: Boy prodigy searches for parents.
thought: Robin Williams exploits children...weird.
in five: 2.5/5 for the movie, but 3/5 for the music
music time: http://augustrushmovie.warnerbros.com/

What's up next, you ask? Well, renting from Blockbuster costs more than it used to, so I'll resort to the DVDs around the apartment for my next rental special. Here's to hoping the entire movie store chain doesn't crumble without my love.

Aucun commentaire: