lundi 28 mai 2007

LES CHANSONS D'AMOUR

http://www.bacfilms.com/
plot : Singing about love and loss.
thought : Definitely the food of love.

LES CHANSONS D'AMOUR was officially selected to this year's Cannes Film Festival, but besides that, I didn't know a thing about it ; I just wanted to get in while the getting was good, since UGC Theatres (though I love them) don't usually carry artsy movies. This one was artsy. Artsy and lovely and current and tragic and beautiful and surprising and worth it.

Seperated into three parts, (1) Le Depart (2) L'Absence and (3) Le Retour ("the depart, absence and the return," respectively), this movie dialogues a threesome on the rocks, two girls and a boy who have lived happily for some time and what happens when their lives take a turbulent change. But really CHANSONS treats it all : for the short-lived lesbians, the unsuccessful threesomes and the closet gays--and any parents and relatives--this is your musical. The scenes of Paris are lovely, and the duets are great ! Perhaps I'm naïve in appreciating their wonder because I didn't understand all the lyrics (French is even harder to comprehend when sung--trust me), but I'll stand by my declaration all the same. Christophe HONORE delivered a film replete with romantic sentiment that doesn't get too thick, a bit of bawdy, a bit of tawdry, and just enough heartache to make you want to ache. It's a beautiful little film.

Overall rating : 4/5

Aucun commentaire: