dimanche 8 juin 2008

KUNG FU PANDA

Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Trust the Dreamworks

When I first watched promos for this film a few months ago, I was struck by one thought alone: "Kung Fu Panda? Isn't that racist?" In a world overtaken by the ramifications of being politically incorrect, my inquiry undoubtedly had its place. Luckily, Dreamworks--unlike Mark Meyers in the upcoming social rash THE LOVE GURU--really ironed out their kinks.

This is a movie where a panda bear in China voiced by Jack Black has a goose for a father and idolizes a female tiger for her kung fu skill--along with a monkey, a praying mantis, a crane, a viper--and shall we also mention the ancient, wise turtle (cleverly named Oogway, which means 'turtle' in Chinese, I'm told) who rules the pack and the muskrat/gerbil/whatever who teaches them? It's a land where every animal fits in. Jack Black's cartoon equiv could have been any animal, really. But a panda sells better to kids. They're cute and cuddly and, yes, Asian. Plus 'Kung Fu Panda' simply sounds a bit better than 'Kung Fu Asian Elephant' 'Kung Fu Sloth Bear' or 'Kung Fu Koala.' Actually, wait. I like Kung Fu Koala. There's alliteration there. Why didn't they go with that? Oh, right, koalas are Australian.

Anyway. The movie fairly impressed me. I really, really liked it. Not only was it not racist (whew), it also taught a great message to kids--a couple in fact--though the most crucial was the most obvious: believe in yourself. That, and exercise. Stress eating is not ok.

Now, I'm a known kung fu movie junkie--from a very young age, I was watching ENTER THE DRAGON and loving every minute--but even without that thirst for violent kicking, I think anyone, young or old, would enjoy PANDA. The film was clever, witty, fun and funny--and remarkably, there was no love story grounding its plot. I rather liked that, too. I don't know what Pixar has in store with WALL-E, but I'm seriously hoping PANDA is setting the standard for the summer's animated numbers.

PLOT: Cartoon panda saves a village.
THOUGHT: Did I expose the plot?!
IN FIVE: 4/5
HIIIII-YAH: http://www.kungfupanda.com/

Aucun commentaire: