jeudi 11 juin 2009

OBSERVE AND REPORT

For starters...wow. How am I ever going to catch up? I feel like I saw this movie back in January.

It was good, funny, dark...ugh, I can't do this for every movie, can I? Pretend I just saw it? I don't know....

OKAY.

The thing about OBSERVE AND REPORT is that it came out about two months after PAUL "I will blart on you" MALL COP, so the comparison was inevitable. But they are definitely distinctly different movies. PAUL BLART is for the kids. OBSERVE is for the angsty post teens who still hit up their parents for laundry on the weekends and have yet to get past community college. It is in another realm altogether, and though it might be correct to simplify the thing and call it "another mall cop movie," it wouldn't really be fair. It's not even "another Seth Rogen movie." It's...it's its own thing.

Despite the fact that I'm flying high with my university degree (ok ok, flying mid-level...mid-level to low...), I still enjoyed the movie. It went into territory I didn't expect--look out for a scene where Rogen and his mall cop friend smack up some skateboarders in the parking lot--and then start doing heroin--but it maintained a pretty clear "eff you" kind of voice throughout, as if the writer, Jody Hill (not Jonah Hill), was like, "Let's just push this a little further and see what the studio says." Well, they apparently said yes, and for the right reasons. Half-assing your dirty little deed just gives you blue balls. Go full force and blow your load, I say. Not everyone will like it--but not everyone was supposed to. So eff them.

the plot: Mall cop tries to excel.
the thought: Turns to drugs and rape?
in five: 3/5

protect and serve: http://observe-and-report.warnerbros.com/

Aucun commentaire: