mardi 23 juin 2009

Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN | on hbo

Just re-watched it on a whim after ONCE and have to say, wow; this movie is good. Hot sex aside (and there's a bit of that, clearly), the style of the thing is great. It's a story about boys becoming men, about "brothers from another mother," and the way Diego and Gael--aww, jeez, can I call them that? after seeing them in person once? I don't think so--the way Luna and Garcia Bernal interact, sexually and otherwise, impresses me every time. And Cuaron knows how to work a voice over.

I don't know if people like how much certain modern Mexican movies--I guess I mean Cuaron films--use voice over. I often don't prefer it in American films, but I can always stand it in a Cuaron film. Why is that? It's done better, that's why. I'm watching JUMPER right now, and the voice over is so heavy-handed ("I wanted to tell her so much...but I couldn't...so I left."), it doesn't add to the story. And in my opinion, if it's not adding, it's subtracting. If you're not part of the solution...

More on JUMPER later.

Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN (2001)
plot: A lady's last sex wish.
thought: Wouldn't you choose Gael, too?
in five: 4/5
sexually speaking: IMDB page

Aucun commentaire: