lundi 19 mai 2008

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN

Darker and much more serious than its predecessor, the latest installment in the vaguely Biblical Narnia series had the double brother-sister quartet teaming up with another cute Brit to fight some bad guys, befriend some talking animals and make me question whether or not I'm a sexual predator. I mean, come on, between both Ben Barns (Prince Caspian) and William Moseley (King Peter the Magnificent--and indeed, he is, dahling) playing high school age heroes, can you blame me? But I did my homework; I looked them both up on IMDB--Ben's 27 and little Will's 21.

Cute just-of-agers aside, I can't decide if PRINCE CASPIAN interested me or bored me. The action was cool, but the plot felt very...aged. I wanted a children's film, and instead I got a borderline war epic, complete with blood, wounds, shrilly delivered battle cries, and lions, tigers and bears--oh my. I was expecting the Pevensie kids to grow up, but I almost found myself saddened by the weight of maturity they had to bear by story's end. They were disenchanted soldiers before the movie hit an hour and thirty. Luckily, by the time they announced they were once again deserting Narnia for Canada--er, I mean London--at film's end, they'd been rewarded for their bravery, if not via an awkward yet enjoyable love scene between Susan and Prince Can-we-elope-together Caspian, but by the love and acceptance of their friends--which, really, is what all children seek. Turns out it was a kids film after all.

PLOT: Aslan ain't done just yet.
THOUGHT: Kids grow up so fast!
IN FIVE: 3/5

THE FILM: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/narnia/

Aucun commentaire: