vendredi 13 juillet 2007

THE LOOKOUT

http://thelookout-movie.com/
plot : How (not) to rob a bank.
thought : Joseph Gordon-Levitt...'nough said.

"What's THE LOOKOUT ?" I thought as I bought my ticket at the local UGC. I'd never heard a thing about it, which made me think it would be bad and that it probably bombed in the States, but since I had recognised Mr. JGL on the poster, I didn't care. JGL is to me what John Cusak was to me about five years ago. Doesn't matter what movie he's in, I'll go. Ever since I first saw JGL in HOLY MATRIMONY opposite Patricia Arquette (hahahaha), I've been interested. I even watched a few episodes of "3rd Rock from the Sun" for him. I couldn't stand more than a few, but for him, it was worth it. And the material he chooses may dissappoint me (ref : 3rd Rock from the Sun), and even his performance may not always be stellar (ref : 3rd Rock from the Sun), but he always has presence, he is always charming, and he always makes me think, "Oh that little JGL, look how far he's come !"

THE LOOKOUT, however, went beyond my expectations. Joseph was fantastic. This is the best role I've seen him play to date, and that's including BRICK. JGL plays a once-golden youth who has suffered a serious head injury, and hence has had most of his promising life stripped from him. A group of local thugs (headed byMatthew GOODE--who played opposite Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Woody Allen's MATCH POINT) trick him into robbing the bank where he works...and then things get sticky as Joseph's character, Chris, tries to get out of it. With strong support from Jeff Daniels and the quickly-but-unfortunately-becoming-forgettable Isla Fisher, the film comes together quite nicely, the tension mounting and continuing to its finish.

Hard to believe it's Scott FRANK's feature directorial debut (he's the writer man behind OUT OF SIGHT and GET SHORTY, as well as THE INTERPRETER and MINORITY REPORT). The film unfolds slowly, at times even feeling slow. But it is beautiful, some of the shots surprising in their artistry. The opening shots especially, undertoned with a great song from a band I don't know (forgot to write it down during the credits), took my breath away.

So America can't handle serious movies about the physically and mentally challenged doing bad things, I guess ? I don't know...I liked it. Maybe it was the JGL factor. But maybe it was actually quite good and unfortunately just overlooked.

Overall rating : 3.5/5

Aucun commentaire: