vendredi 6 juillet 2007

MADE IN JAMAICA

http://www.madeinjamaicamovie.com/
plot : This is how we did it.
thought : But where are you going ?

This movie wasn't about what I thought it was about, namely, the birth of dancehall music in Jamaica. I thought I read that somewhere, and it was a lot of why I went--that, and I love music documentaries--so for about the first twenty minutes, I was fairly confused. Then I got settled in.

This film sings about the widespread fallout, as it were, of reggae music in Jamaica. Not bad for a story, since the average American (or average...anyone ?) has heard of Bob Marley, et puis...basta. This movie flashed the names and faces of a lot of people who found their light from the Marley-reggae superbubble and then went on to continue playing the music to which all the kids who didn't where green, yellow and red "Get Up, Stand Up"-inspired headbands didn't listen. I don't want to be harsh, not against the film anyway. I don't think it was a good documentary, but that's the fault of some filmmakers getting confused about how to visually portray an auditive tale. The story was--is--worth telling. But we need to figure out who, besides Bob Marley, is going to tell it right.

Best musical moment : 96 degrees in the shade.

Overall rating : 2/5 as a film ; 3.5/5 in music

Aucun commentaire: