samedi 19 avril 2008

RUN, FAT BOY, RUN

Caught this one after an afternoon of hesitation last Sunday. Go out to a movie? Rent a movie? Go out to a movie? Rent a movie? Go out to a movie...?

With the promise of strawberry shortcake near the cinema post-picture show, I had no choice but to go out. We drove to Monster Mall, we walked into the theatre and then we sat and watched a movie all about running to win the woman you love.

RUN, FATBOY, RUN, though starring Simon Pegg of SHAUN OF THE DEAD and HOT FUZZ fame, did not have quite the carriage these films did. Perchance that's because, this time around, Pegg shared his pen with Michael Ian Black--who I love, like hearts on stars, LOVE--but who is better, I'd say, at improvisational humor (a la the VHS "I Love the '90s" series) than written wit. I unfortunately blame him for the jokes that veered towards physical and/or slapstick humor. They felt American and out of context in Pegg's usually wonderfully off-color universe. I mean, hey, I love an irreverent blague like the next girl...but I really didn't need to see puss from a blister squirt all over a man's face. Really didn't. And maybe that was Pegg's doing. But maybe it wasn't? (For all I know it was all David Schwimmer's idea. 'Cause yeah, he directed it.) But my mind tells me it might have been Michael.

In short, I didn't audibly chortle nearly as often during FATBOY as I did this time (was it this time?) last year during HOT FUZZ, but I enjoyed the almost Hollywood kiss ending for its smile-worthy, somewhat realistic probability. That's how I think every romantic comedy should end. Somewhat realistically. And/or with puss.

plot: Run marathon, win the girl.
thought: Mmmm, strawberry shortcake, so yummy.
in 5: 3/5

THE MOVIE: http://www.runfatboyrunmovie.com/

Aucun commentaire: