lundi 29 décembre 2008

letop5 announces: Top 5 of '08

The Hollywood Reporter had their film critics announce their top 10 films of 2008 this morning. I always think it's a little arbitrary to do "top 10" lists in this métier, seeing as, in doing so, one attempts to compare extremely different films. Can you really compare MADAGASCAR 2 to REVOLUTIONARY ROAD? IRON MAN to DOUBT? I guess the real question is, "Who cares?" (And secondly, "Is MADAGASCAR 2 really in your top 10?" Answer: No.) But in the spirit of egotistically believing my opinion is useful to society, I'm here to do just what those critics did.

**As a note...I haven't seen FROST/NIXON. Or THE WRESTLER. Or MAN ON WIRE. Or a few others. So my list below is basically moot. But again, who cares? These are the top 10 movies of the year out of the films I've seen.

**As a final note, the list is a little "weighted," as it were, for Award-worthy-ness--which explains why, neither IRON MAN nor THE DARK KNIGHT, i.e. the only films that I rated cinq de cinq (that's five of five) earlier this year, appear as #1.

letop5'S TOP FIVE (PLUS FIVE MORE)
1. Slumdog Millionaire [letop5 review]
2. The Dark Knight [letop5 review]
3. Milk [letop5 review]
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [letop5 review]
5. Iron Man [letop5 review: le first and le second]
6. Revolutionary Road [letop5 review]
7. Vicky Cristina Barcelona [letop5 review]
8. The Fall [letop5 review]
9. Kisses [letop5 review]
10. Doubt [letop5 review]

Do you have opinions?

* - * - * - * - *
AMENDMENT 03Jan09: I've never amended a post before. But having seen a few more films, I have to change my list a bit. Sorry to the movies that are about to fall off my prestigious roster, but it was inevitable with Clint Eastwood in the room.

letop5'S NEW TOP FIVE (PLUS FIVE MORE) - 03 Jan 2009
1. Slumdog Millionaire [letop5 review]
2. The Dark Knight [letop5 review]
3. Milk [letop5 review]
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button [letop5 review]
5. Iron Man [letop5 review: le first and le second]
6. Gran Torino [letop5 review]
7. Revolutionary Road [letop5 review]
8. Frost/Nixon [letop5 review]
9. Vicky Cristina Barcelona [letop5 review]
10. The Fall [letop5 review] (or Doubt, if we're talking awards-winner talk)

New year, new thoughts! Let's see what happens at the Globes.

Aucun commentaire: