dimanche 11 janvier 2009

PAUL BLART: MALL COP (premiere)

The fact that I got into the premiere of PAUL BLART: MALL COP kind of marks me as simultaneously cool and uncool. Cool, you got into a premiere for a movie. Uncool, the movie has the word 'blart' in the title. [Aside: I didn't go looking; someone told me. And double-aside: What exec ok'd the name of this movie?] Yeah, gross.

But listen, no, it was pretty cool. Other than the joy of seeing Paul B. himself (Kevin James of "The King of Queens," I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK AND LARRY and HITCH), there was press, there were cameras, and there were plenty of other celebrities, including Adam Sandler and Leah Remini, who plays James' wife on "King of Queens." Thus, the premiere to this family-friendly film made for an agreeable waste of time on a super sunny Saturday afternoon. My friend 909 (who lives in the 909) and I got free popcorn, free drinks and great seats. What's inside a Hollywood premiere, you ask? That's what.

PAUL B: MALL COP centers around an overweight, hypoglycemic mall security guard (who likes to call himself a security 'officer') who has to man-up when his mall goes under attack from a group of robber hooligans. There are laughs for the kids, alcohol and class jokes for the parents (yeah, there's a quip about the luxury of a Toyota Camry), and there's quite a bit of physical humor--mostly because Kevin James is quite a bit overweight. Seeing him close-up, though, must say that he didn't look that big. Big, yes, but not *that* big. Lovably huggable, I'd call it. The camera must add ten pounds after all.

The good thing about kid movies is that they don't actually have to be much better than this. Produced by Happy Madison Productions (Adam Sandler's production company), PAUL B is bound to fare well at next weekend's BO. But since it opens the same day as HOTEL FOR DOGS, also geared towards the tween troupe, box office-hijacking prospects are probably slim. Well, at least I saw it when.

plot: Mall cop defends food court.
thought: ...and then eats what's there.
in five: 2.5/5

serve and protect: http://www.paulblartmallcop.com/

6 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

EVERYONE SHOULD SEE HOTEL FOR DOGS!!!

Ed a dit…

I <3 Leah Remini (& letop5)!

Unknown a dit…

Totally agree about the title! I don't think I feel as strongly as you about the name itself; the fact that they added the same just seems so pointless to me.

When I first heard about the project, it was referred to only as "Mall Cop", which I thought was hilarious and evocative in and of itself. So when I started seeing the added "Paul Blart", I was like, what's the point of that?? That name means nothing to me. I guess they thought, oh see, it's funny because it's a funny-sounding name.

But see, that's a excusable in Deuce Bigelow, which is a TOTALLY ridiculous name (and rhymed with gigolo, as if so you could say the main part of the title and still refer to the idea of a gigolo without actually having to say the word), but Paul Blart is just normal enough to be completely irrelevant.

(btw, tu es francais?)

Unknown a dit…

HA! I stand corrected, as per your latest post. WTF, I had no idea that's what blart meant. Now I get why you asked who the HELL approved that. I can just imagine Kevin James and whoever else snickering at all the people they're making say "blart" without knowing what it means.

But like, does it have ANY relevance to the movie?? Does it, god forbid, actually happen to the title character? If not, then it really is solely for the shock value and the above-stated snickering, just like the Monkees movie was (rumoredly) named Head solely so that for their next movie, they could put on the posters "from the producers who gave you Head."

Groan.

janiobi a dit…

To Business Affairs:
J'suis pas francaise, mais j'ai commence ce blog en France--et j'ai jamais change la langue. C'est la faute de ma nostalgie.... :)

VERY good observations, re: titles. The snicker factor is clearly high--both MALL COP or MONKEES MOVIE would have done just as well, methinks.

Unknown a dit…

Ah, je comprends. Ne le change jamais! ;-)