vendredi 8 août 2008

AMERICAN TEEN

I enter the cinema. It's a Tuesday. Student night.

I widen my eyes, smile blithely and scale my voice upwards an octave--it's true, I think; I kind of have a man voice, I guess from my university years spent shouting over loud frat party music. Well, the guy at the booth doesn't even ask to see my ID. My ticket costs $8.75, as opposed to the ongoing adult rate of $12. I grin, say, "Thank you!" and head downstairs. Lucky me.

After a foolish snack purchase (I regret that I had a coupon), I proceed into the theatre, sit with my two friends Melrosey and Promoter (he promotes himself) and wait for the lights to come down. The film starts, a documentary about five youths living in Indiana (slightly forgettable state) in their senior year of high school, trying to get by and get out and get on with their at times sad, shallow, unfortunate, or melodramatic, but otherwise very real lives.

I suddenly feel so old and young at the same time that it confuses me.

My town was and wasn't like their town, and my life was and wasn't like their lives, but I relate, as I think anyone who sees this film will, and I can't help but love their story. I've never talked so much through a movie; every five minutes, I was laughing or audibly wincing or cringing or saying, "What a biotch!" or "He's SO awkward!" or "NOT cool!" or "OMG!" or some opinionated variant thereof. And I felt so inside my own high school experience again...and yet removed from it....It was weird. I don't know how to explain it. But I can say AMERICAN TEEN was poignant and real and lovely and simple, and I hope the kids involved are proud of the product they helped create. I also hope that all the guys in the film eventually get girlfriends who care for them, since that seemed to be number one on all their agendas. And with men and boys...isn't it always?

the plot: Growing up is hard stuff.
the thought: But makes for easy entertainment.
in five: 4/5

live it: http://www.americanteenthemovie.com/

1 commentaire:

Saffronia a dit…

I cried a little when I saw this and I remembered how much I loved (but don't miss) high school. Also I realized how far away life in Indiana seems from growing up in SoCal even though everyone goes through the same issues.