dimanche 3 août 2008

NE LE DIS A PERSONNE

I love Guillaume Canet. He can do no wrong. NE LE DIS A PERSONNE (or TELL NO ONE, the English title and actual translation) is the film he directed that swept the French Oscars (Les Cesars) last year. It is suspenseful, almost scary at times, and the story is...mystifyingly mysterious. I liked it a lot.

I've always felt that Canet has a knack for music, I think, since I saw him grooving to slick tunes in ENSEMBLE C'EST TOUT, where he co-starred with Audrey Tatou. I don't know if he chose the music in that movie at all, but since then, I've imagined he has a good musical ear. And in this film, he proves it, justly. The soundtrack, though at times hitting a little on-the-nose, as the French are wont to do, showcases expressive music fitting for every scene of this psychological thriller cumme love story. There are some moments very close to the end, between our lead male and his wife's father, that annoyed me in their Americanness (together, the two tie up all the plot points that we as viewers are wondering about, with a neat little monologue on the father's part that, as a plot device, is irksomely unoriginal), but it's based on an American novel, so I guess that explains it. Plus, the rest of the film was so good--and as a true teller of emotive merit, left me tearful upon close--that I'll forgive Monsieur Canet. Hopefully, he'll come stateside sometime soon to accept said forgiveness in person. 'Cause I can't ship it. It's in my pants. Me-ow!

the plot: "A wife's disappearance finally explained."
the thought: "Come and get it, Canet...."
in five: 3.5/5 (I grudgingly dock half a point for that monologue)

tell someone: http://www.tellno-one.com/

Aucun commentaire: