lundi 18 août 2008

letop5 names five restaurants

...that I may never review.

And it's not because they suck! It's because they're so awesome that I go to them so often that it's not worth my time to write about them like a record stuck on repeat. It may, however, be worth someone else's time (are you really that bored?) to know what I think about them. So I want to mention these five fantastic food stops now, so as not to confuse people who know me who might wonder (if they are, in fact, that bored) why I haven't mentioned them before.

1. URTH CAFFE - I love Urth. Next to IHOP, it's the place I've frequented most in Fire City. And though it's usually my go-to brunch destination, I discovered last night that they do dinner delectably well as well. Go for the hummous and tabbouleh half salad. With warm pita on the side, not only is it a hefty, healthy meal, it's also delicious. And for the beverage to try at this organic coffee haven? I'd suggest the honey chai latte (unbeatable!). Gotta keep your breakfast prices down? Go for the Urth Breakfast: a massive croissant, jam and a healthy helping of cheese of your choice. And it's only $5.50!

2. IHOP - Oh, yeah. I said it. They have *the* best pancakes! Others may try, but as Kokomo, Jack n Jills, The Griddle Cafe (stupid big!) and Toast have before...others will fail. The only place where I've ever had better hotcakes is at Blueberry Hill in Meadow City. I often go for The Hop's corn cake pancakes, which have cornmeal mixed into the buttermilk pancake batter for a slightly savory addition to the sweetest breakfast tradition. But note: every hop is not the same hop. The Wilshire & Hauser location is my usual.

3. BOSSA NOVA CAFE - Brazilian! Delightful! The only place I actually like to order from home from, because they deliver, both literally and figuratively, and it's great. Their plantains are so good, they rival my mother's (Mom's still win!), and their vegetarian options are super numerous. They've recently added a pizza menu, so now there's even more to love.

4. BJ'S BREWHOUSE/PIZZERIA - Another chain! It's true, not all chain's are loathed. Especially not if they carry the best dessert known to man: the pizookie. The pizookie is a personal pan pizza-sized cookie (pizza + cookie = pizookie) served piping hot in your choice of five flavors, in order from best to forgettable: oreo, peanut butter, classic chocolate chip, oatmeal walnut and white choc macademian. But the fun doesn't stop there. Atop this piping hot cookie is served a mound of ice cold vanilla bean ice cream. Naturally, the ice cream melts into the cookie, creating the most delicious, gooey concoction of sugar and yummy to ever hit your lips. Add the oreo whip from the oreo pizookie, and you've got magic in your mouth. What's great about BJ's, though, isn't just the pizookie. Like the typical American chain, it hits a lot of different food varieties, but it actually hits them well. Their pizzas are their staple, but I also recommend their pastas, most of the appetizers (bruschetta wins), their french fries (both shoestring and steak cut) and all their house-brewed beers, though the blondes and stouts are best.

5. IN-N-OUT - Omg, wait. Did I just list a burger place? Am I not vegetarian? Yeah, but In-n-Out rocks. They make a grilled cheese sandwich on their "secret menu" that is better than any burger could be. In fact, it is the equivalent of an In-n-Out burger, just without the meat. Hence, better (if you're me). Loaded with veggies and juiced with the special In-n-Out secret sauce, the grilled cheese is the perfect treat for any Fire City outbound road trip. It's pretty wet, though, so not best to steer while chewing.

So those are my five, so far, after ten months of living here. I do realise I listed Urth Cafe and IHOP on the same list of my favorite restaurants. In terms of lifestyle, that's mildly contradictory. But it's also the truth. I should add, however, that I wouldn't recommend eating anything at IHOP but the pancakes and breakfast fare. Like, seriously. It's not called International House of Steak for a reason.

1. The organic experience: URTH.
2. Pancake heaven: IHOP.
3. Something different at your door: BOSSA NOVA.
4. Five million calories of love: BJ's.
5. Faster than you can say "animal-style": IN-N-OUT.

Aucun commentaire: