dimanche 10 août 2008

STEP BROTHERS

Two weeks ago I said there was no WAY I would see this movie.

But I drove alllllll the way to The Bridge to see Batman in IMAX, and the silly place had sold out for the day (though online, it definitely didn't say that!), and I had no choice. My friend BiCoastal and my new friend Bosley (more, later) hadn't seen BATMAN at all, so when we spotted a guy sadly selling back his two tickets to the 3.30pm show (stood up, were we?), I sighed, said "alas," and let BiCoastal and Bosley see Batman instead of me. I saw STEP BROTHERS.

Now, here's the reason why I even decided to see it. After watching Will Ferrell's screen test for the New York Times, I thought, "He seems like a pretty decent, normal, kinda boring guy..." (i.e., not like the moron he portrays on screen). I thought this would mean that I'd be able to handle, and perhaps even enjoy, his portrayal of the absolute dimwit character of Brennan in STEP BROTHERS, neighbored by the somewhat funny but mostly distasteful John C. Reilly as Dale. I concluded that since Ferrell and Reilly were obviously ACTING, they'd actually be funny. Not entirely so.

Yes, I did laugh from time to time, once even uproariously, late in the movie, despite the fact that I sat alone in the theatre (there's something slightly exposing about laughing aloud during a comedy by yourself), but it was still a dumb movie. And not dumb like good-dumb like NAPOLEON DYNAMITE or BOTTLE ROCKET, which actually are both really clever. BOTTLE ROCKET is insanely clever. STEP BROTHERS is just dumb. And I feel like it may have put a couple of my brain cells to sleep, permanently.

Hello, brain cells? It's me, letop5. I won't do that to you again.

plot: Parents marry without consulting kids.
thought: Further proves boys age slowly.
in five: 1.5/5

now you just look stupid: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/stepbrothers/

2 commentaires:

Ed a dit…

I'm glad I checked out your blog. You've saved me from a pretty boring evening; I am going to blockbuster to check out Bottle Rocket. I'm in need of a good comedy right now.

Anonyme a dit…

Whatever, I thought it was hilarious and worth watching!