dimanche 3 août 2008

Kokomo | brunch

Or: The Peach Pit lives!

The place on Third that was once Eat Well has changed its name to Kokomo, and it also apparently moonlights as ye olde hangout, The Peach Pit, for "90210: The New Class." I spotted the camera crews myself one afternoon...er, sort of.

It was here at Koko-Pit that I tried the vegetarian breakfast somewhat-staple, the tofu scramble for the first time. And I give it...two thumbs up! That fake food was good! At Kokomo, it was served tumbled about in pesto with sliced tomatoes flanking its heapy, crumbly whiteness. Now, I'd never had a tofu scramble before, so I've got nothing to which I can compare this one, but...it tasted pretty splenderific to me. My friend Connecticut who ordered eggs grimaced, however, calling her real food "nowhere near as good as at The Waffle," and I must share that their pancakes were also sub-par. Spongy, a bit flavorless and, well, kinda gross. But I didn't order that stuff, so I win. I should note that one friend, Melrosey, we'll call her (she lives off Melrose...and is rosy...in temperament, at least), really enjoyed her waffles. The fruit compote generously piled atop them definitely looked top notch.

What Kokomo gains for is tasty, if a bit runny, tofu scramble, however, it kind of loses in decor. The inside is long, but narrow, meaning wherever you sit, you're pretty close to the kitchen. Due to our proximity, our ice cubes melted rapidly, and by the meal's end, our water was room temperature. This probably wouldn't have been a problem, had our server been quick to replenish, but alack, he failed there. I guess we were feeling benevolent, though, because we still tipped him nicely. Oh, we're so nice. So, so nice. Give us an award.

KOKOMO: http://www.kokomo.com/
in five: 3/5 (sorry, Kok, but the brunch oasis of 3rd Street hosts several betters: Toast, Lulu's, Joan's, King's Road Cafe, MILK...in that order)

1 commentaire:

Saffronia a dit…

Yeah, when I went here they "lost our ticket" meaning our food for 2 took 45 minutes to bring out AND it wasn't even that good. I'd go back though, just because the rest of the menu looks delicious and the place is pretty cute. I mean, how could it not be if they film 90210 there every week?!